As a young, still somewhat newly married, new mommy, I/my family doesn’t have a whole lot of extra money to spend, let alone during the holidays. To be honest, I’m not sure how it is that people magically have money around the holidays but not the rest of the year… doesn’t add up to me. Anyways, I wanted to find a cute, easy and inexpensive DIY gift to give to our parents and grandparents for Christmas. Well, Ayden just turned one and I got some really cute pictures done and wanted to show them off and incorporate them somehow into the Christmas gifts. I then found a box of plain 4×4 white tiles in the garage that had been used for the backsplash in our kitchen. After checking out some other similar DIY projects on Pinterest I decided to try making some cute coasters for everyone and just tweaked a few things when I made them. Here’s how you make your own Cutie Coasters!
- Gather all your materials.
You will need:
- Small preferably 4×4 Tiles*I wouldn’t recommend printing them at home on copy paper as they may smear.
- Glue gun
- Ribbon to give a professional looking finished product
- Felt for bottom of coasters
- Small sponge brush
- Modge Podge
- Printed pictures you would like on your coasters (I just had mine printed at Walgreens-which by the way, they are doing a 50% off photo deal)
2. Decide which pictures to use for your coasters. If you are making for multiple people, do you want the same pictures on them all or different ones. I pre-sorted them so everyone got some more formal pictures and some cake smash pictures (which I must say are freaking adorable!)
3. Cut pictures to size. I used a scrap piece of paper as the template for the perfect size and cut them down.
4. Use a sponge brush to put a thin coat of modge podge on the top of the tile and then place picture on top. Adjust to make sure even spacing, not crooked etc. Then do another layer of Modge Podge over the picture (make sure the picture stays in place).
5. Allow about 20 minutes to dry, then do another layer running the brush the opposite direction, allow 20 minutes dry time, then the third layer the original direction, allow to dry.
6. Use clear sealant spray to coat the coasters and ensure they are water resistant, also to give a nice shine. Allow at least 24 hours to dry.
7.Cut felt into small squares to place on the edges on the back of the tile so they will not scratch any surfaces. Use hot glue gun to attach.
8. Tie ribbon around coasters, and give to your loved ones!